What is PosterLad?
PosterLad is an art project by Czech designer Vratislav Pecka. He believes that a poster does not have to always necessarily promote some event or product. Instead, Pecka uses the medium as a space for expressing his art ideas. The main common features of Vratislav Pecka's work are simple shapes and vivid colors. His work was influenced by the Bauhaus school and a certain nostalgia and memories of the 90s. Posterlad posters do not aim to express any thoughts or to deliver a message. The main goal of these posters is to visually captivate and please the observer's eye.
The PosterLad project started in 2016 as some sort of escape project of one busy designer who was already fed up with the client's work and who set himself a goal to start creating something of his own. Since then, Pecka has been designing posters almost every day. His style is constantly evolving, and so the designer does not stick with one style for too long. Within a few years, PosterLad became popular on social media and was awarded the 2019 Silver A'Design Award and the 2020 German Design Award. Pecka is currently a full-time artist, but is open to collaborations with clients who seek designs with his personal artistic touch. In addition to poster design, Pecka also creates cryptoart. He presents his works on the world's most prestigious platform called SuperRare, which hosts only a handful of leading contemporary artists.
About the designer
Vratislav Pecka was born in Prague, Czech Republic in 1988. After spending three years in film schools, where he graduated as video editor and briefly studied animation, he found his passion elsewhere — in graphics. He worked as a freelance designer for over ten years, and at the same time he became a co-founder of graphic design studio Pecka Studio. He has been a full-time artist since early 2021. After spending couple of years in Amsterdam, he now lives in Prague with his family and is looking forward to see what comes next.
"Vratislav managed to get international exposure for his excellent work. I appreciate the fact that the work is purely formal and does not pretend to advertise or promote anything, there is no function that manages to drag the work into the gutter."
– Stefan Sagmeister (Forbes, 12/2022)
Over the years, Vratislav collaborated with brands or companies such as Adobe, Eizo, Redbull, Kellogg's, Casetify, Affinity, Julius Meinl or Ykra.
- 2023 - part of NFT NYC exhibition, New York, USA
- 2023 - part of The Shape of Space NFT exhibition, The Canvas 3.0 gallery, New York, USA
- 2022 - part of NFT exhibition "NFT's What the F*ck" in Moanin Gallery, Andorra La Vella, Andorra
- 2022 - solo exhibition in 3sec.gallery in Breda, The Netherlands
- 2022 - part of NFT auction and exhibition in FauveParis auction house, Paris, France
- 2021 - solo exhibition in Yan Books, Beijing, China
- 2021 - solo exhibition in Page Five, Prague, Czechia
- 2021 - part of exhibition in Protein Studios, London, UK
- 2021 - part of virtual NFT exhibition, Artgence
- 2018 - permanent exhibition in Prague Congress Center, Prague, Czechia
- 2018 - exhibition on Czech Design Week Fall 2018, Prague, Czechia
- 2018 - part of the final seleciton of Ecuador Poster Bienal 2018 - November 2018, Quito, Ecuador
- 2018 - part of the final seleciton of Trnava Poster Triennial 2018 - October 2018, Trnava, Slovakia
- 2017 - part of the ASU VCD 10th Annual Poster Show in Arizona State University, Arizona, USA
- 2017 - exhibition on Czech Design Week Spring 2017, Prague, Czechia
- 2017 - solo exhibition in Cafe Pelíšek, Prague, Czechia
- 12/2022 - Forbes Czech - an article about PosterLad (in Czech)
- 04/2021 - Hype and Hyper - an article about collaboration with Ykra
- 04/2021 - Ykra - an article about collaboration with Ykra
- 03/2021 - Grafik Magazine - an interview about PosterLad
- 12/2020 - People of Print - introduction article about PosterLad
- 12/2020 - Sufio - an article about the business side of PosterLad
- 10/2020 - Creative Boom - an article about Posterlad
- 08/2020 - Howtheyseeart - an interview about PosterLad
- 04/2020 - Hype and Hyper - an article about PosterLad
The project was featured on many design inspiration channels and magazines such as Slanted Publishers magazine, Adobe Design, Grafik Magazin, Plus Eighty One magazine, Magzoid and many others.